Monday, April 28, 2008

Short shorts

I used to watch the NBA playoffs constantly. Every game. Every day. But lately that has not been the case. The NBA has turned from a passionate team game, to an individual side show for 20 year olds to flex their tattooed muscles. Side note: Why does every single NBA player (besides Tim Duncan) make it a point to slather their bodies with tattoos? Maybe it is just my lack of fashion sense and overall coolness, but I don’t understand why getting the words “Chosen one” permanantly inked on your esophagus embodies all that is “hip." Back on the farm..… I was talking about my disappointment with the NBA. I loved watching TEAM players such as Jordan, Stockton, Olajuwon, Barkley, Robinson, Pippen, and many others dominate an era of basketball that will never be duplicated again. Now-a-days (I really wanted to refrain from using that phrase) guys look like they are just going through the routine and are just sliding through another day in the office. When was the last time you saw someone hit the deck for a loose ball or give credit to a teammate after an excellent pass? I can’t remember.

Players used to play defense too. That was cool. Don’t get me wrong, I love watching the highlight dunk as much as the next nerdy sports dude living in their parents' basement, but come on, step up and play some D.

But I guess I am in the minority on this one. Ratings for NBA hoops are at an all time high and the league has completely overcome the entire referee gambling scandal. What could change my views? I don’t know. Maybe enforce a rule that each team has to have a white guy over 240 lbs on the floor at all times. Make the courts look like a Tuesday night at your local YMCA gymnasium. I guess I have just lost all faith. Just like I have lost faith that Eddie Murphy will make another funny movie one day. Gone are the days of players like Rick Smits and movies like Coming to America. Now we are forced to watch Leandro Barbosa and Daddy Day Care.

I am only 25 and I sound like that old dude in the barbershop who bitches about instant replay and only mentions former Yankee great's as true baseball players.

I need a hobby.

No comments: